Windows Support Number

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Tuesday, 29 September 2009

Mocks, Fakes, Stubs - why bother?

Posted on 03:44 by Unknown
Ever wondered why there are so many different names for the objects that mimic behaviour of the 'real' objects in a system - mocks, stubs, fakes, doubles...

I can't help looking at the tables of definitions on this page and think why bother!

Why have all these mocking frameworks gone and raised the bar of understanding for people who don't like TDD or who don't currently do TDD. To me everything is a mock if it's not the real thing - pure and simple. So when I write tests I call everything a 'Mock' so the tests are easy to read & understand by the anyone (including people adverse to TDD). Prehaps this is one of the reasons why I've stopped using mocking frameworks in general.

I'm sure some people think the distinction between a stub and mock is important but it isn't, the test is important not what & how you mock.



Awkward Coder
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in TDD Mocking | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • MVVM anti-pattern: View code behind with no implementation
    I've seen rather a lot of this anti-pattern recently, to be explicit about what I mean, lets define this in terms of a WPF user control....
  • WP7Contrib: Transient caching with In Memory Cache Provider
    Rich  and I are currently working on a WP7 application based around local content stored on the device.   This content consists of a databas...
  • Removing the 'Invalid Credentials... ' message from Bing Maps on WP7
    I got asked a question by @mrlacey today about how to remove the overlay message you can get when using the Bing Maps control on WP7. Now I...
  • Showing a message box from a ViewModel in MVVM
    I was doing a code review with a client last week for a WPF app using MVVM and they asked ' How can I show a message from the ViewModel?...
  • Using IoC nested lifetime scopes with View Models in MVVM
    A common pattern you see when developing web services is the use of the Unit of Work applied to the HTTP request - anything that happens dur...
  • Exception handling for an async method
    I've been unit testing a method which has a return type of Task<T> and I need to handle cases where  exceptions will be thrown. Sh...
  • MVVM anti-pattern: Injecting the IoC container into a View Model
    This is another anti-pattern I've seen a lot recently, the dynamic use of the IoC container inside a view model to resolve child view mo...
  • Azure - what a disappointing developer experience...
    Okay so I am new to Azure and it's way of thinking, but it seems certain developer tasks are just the biggest PITA I've experienced ...
  • Implementing a message box using a visual overlay in MVVM
    I've blogged about implementing a busy indicator before, this post is an extension of this pattern to implement a message box - this is...
  • Azure - RoleEnvironmentException in OnStart
    My previous post was a bit of rant at the developer experience in Azure when trying to set-up diagnostics. I managed to work out what was c...

Categories

  • .Net
  • .Net 4.5
  • Abstractions
  • Advertising
  • Agile
  • Agile Courage
  • AOP
  • Async
  • automated testing
  • Azure
  • Azure IIS RESTful development
  • BDD
  • Bing Maps
  • Bounded Context
  • C#
  • C# 5.0
  • Caching
  • Chocolatey
  • CLoud
  • CodePlex
  • Coding
  • Coding Building CI Testing
  • Coding C#
  • coding C# IoC StructureMap
  • Coding Functional-Programming
  • Coding REST Knowledge
  • Coding Services
  • Coding TDD Refactoring Agile
  • Command
  • continuous testing
  • coupling
  • CultureInfo
  • DAL
  • databases
  • DDD
  • DDD Coaching
  • DDD Domain Events Auditing nHibernate
  • DDD Entities Value Objects
  • Debugging
  • Design Patterns
  • Design Patterns Databases Auditing
  • Developement
  • Development
  • Development Coding
  • Development Process
  • Development unit testing
  • Development VS 2011
  • Diagnostics
  • Disposable
  • Exceptions
  • FINDaPAD
  • FindaPad Property Rental Windows Phone 7 Mobile Devices
  • Fun Coding Duct-Tape
  • Hotfixes
  • integration testing
  • IoC
  • jasmine
  • javascript
  • Jobs Development
  • LINQ
  • marketplace
  • Mobile Devices
  • Mocking
  • MSDN Coding
  • MSpec
  • Multilingual
  • MVC
  • MVVM
  • nCrunch
  • nHbiernate Repository Pattern Criteria
  • nHibernate Auditing Design Fluent
  • nHibnerate Entities Events Listeners
  • node.js
  • nodes.js
  • Nokia
  • NoSQL RavenDB Azure Development
  • Observations
  • OO
  • ORM
  • Performance
  • Portable Class Library
  • Portable Library
  • PostSharp
  • Process
  • Rants
  • RavenDB IIS 7.5 Development
  • Reactive
  • Reactive Extension
  • Reactive Extensions
  • ReadOnlyCollections
  • Resharper
  • REST Distributed-Systems
  • REST HTTP
  • rest web
  • RESTful
  • Rx
  • Serialization
  • Silverlight
  • Silverlight Installation
  • Task
  • TDD
  • TDD IoC DI
  • TDD Mocking
  • TDD Team Observation
  • Telerik
  • testing
  • threading
  • TPL
  • UI
  • Undo-Redo
  • unit testing
  • ViewModels
  • VS 2012
  • wcf
  • web api
  • Web Services
  • web services mobile devices data
  • WebAPI
  • Windows
  • Windows 8
  • windows phone
  • Windows Phone 7
  • WP7
  • WP7 Bing Maps Development Network HTTP
  • WP7 Bing Maps Development UK Crime
  • WP7 Bing Maps Development UK Crime Clustering
  • WP7 Bing Maps Development UK Polygons Clustering Performance
  • WP7 cryptography bouncy castle
  • WP7 Cultures C#
  • WP7 feedback development app store
  • WP7 Javascript web browser
  • WP7 MSBuild
  • WP7 ORM Databases performance
  • WP7 Serialisation
  • WP7 SilverlightSerializer C#
  • WP7 sqlite performance development
  • WP7 WP7Contrib Bing Maps Development
  • WP7 WP7Contrib Bing Maps Polygon Development
  • WP7 WP7Contrib CodePlex
  • WP7 WP7Contrib CodePlex Bing Maps Development
  • WP7 WP7Contrib CodePlex ObservableCollection
  • WP7 WP7Contrib ILMerge .Net
  • WP7 WP7Contrib Phone Maps
  • WP7 WP7Contrib SilverlightSerializer C#
  • WP7Contrib
  • WP7Contrib Bing Maps WP7
  • WP7Contrib WP7 Geo-Location development C#
  • WP7Contrib WP7 HTTP Compression
  • WP7Contrib WP7 Url Development Rx
  • WP7Dev
  • WPF
  • WPF Cultures
  • WuApi
  • XAML

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (16)
    • ►  November (5)
    • ►  September (3)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  July (1)
    • ►  June (3)
    • ►  May (2)
    • ►  January (1)
  • ►  2012 (44)
    • ►  November (2)
    • ►  October (8)
    • ►  September (5)
    • ►  August (2)
    • ►  July (4)
    • ►  June (3)
    • ►  May (1)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (13)
    • ►  February (4)
  • ►  2011 (52)
    • ►  December (3)
    • ►  November (5)
    • ►  October (7)
    • ►  September (7)
    • ►  August (11)
    • ►  July (4)
    • ►  May (2)
    • ►  April (1)
    • ►  March (5)
    • ►  February (3)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ►  2010 (1)
    • ►  August (1)
  • ▼  2009 (32)
    • ►  December (3)
    • ►  November (7)
    • ►  October (6)
    • ▼  September (11)
      • Mocks, Fakes, Stubs - why bother?
      • Distributed Systems are Coupled - Period!
      • Devlicio.us boys run out of duct tape!
      • Test Harnesses are counter productive...
      • So you thinking you're doing TDD?
      • I know nothing moments...
      • The secret all developers should know...
      • How to test a static dependency used inside a clas...
      • Application auditing - an example why I don't work...
      • Repository pattern - my preferred implementation...
      • Auditing with nHibernate...
    • ►  April (1)
    • ►  March (4)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile